Thursday, January 18, 2018 Register


BUNNY 911 - If your rabbit hasn't eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don't have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

LEADERS: Azerane  Bam  BinkyBunny  JerseyGirl  LBJ10  LittlePuffyTail  LongEaredLions  RabbitPam 

Last Post by LittlePuffyTail at 8/12/2012 8:17 AM (7 Replies)
You are not authorized to post a reply or you have not verified your email address.
Printer Friendly
Author Messages

User is Offline Hokankai
252 posts Send Private Message
8/09/2012 8:19 PM

My little Ariadne seems to have the snuffles or whatever you want to call it. Three weeks ago she started to sneeze and several days later it turned purulent (white) so I decided to take her into the vet. She was put on trimethoprim sulfa but after only 4 days it wasn't doing the job so we upped it to baytril. She had a full, 14 day course of Baytril which was finished on Monday or Tuesday...I can't remember. Either way, she's already sneezing again. It's not very much and right now it's clear...but she's definitely sneezing quite a few times an hour where she wasn't while she was on her antibiotics. 

What do I do from here? Theodore who has lived with her for several months has had no symptoms, but her mother (a foster from the humane society) left me with a sniffle so I wouldn't be surprised if it was passed to her at birth. Any ideas as to what I should do? I'm going to hold off contacting the vet until it becomes purulent again and I'm hoping it doesn't and that it's just something environmental like the fact that their hay was just changed or their litterbox needs cleaning...but I'm not exactly hopeful.

Any advice?

User is Offline Jenna, Chubs & Comet
Portland, OR
618 posts Send Private Message
8/09/2012 11:16 PM
My advice is to contact the vet again...I understand your hesitation but it can be a sign of a persistent respiratory infection. If that goes beyond her nose into her's much harder to treat.
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

User is Offline Sarita
18886 posts Send Private Message
8/10/2012 3:49 AM

I found this article that might help:

If you suspect an upper respiratory infection than a culture and sensitivity test would be what I recommend.

User is Offline JustBun
24 posts Send Private Message
8/11/2012 5:21 AM

My bun had something like snuffles as well when I first got him. I think we went through three or four courses of 14 day baytril and it would almost go away but then return. After it had been a while, the vet gave me baytril and a nose drop called gentamicin sulfate ophthalmic solution. The sneezing went away about 3-4 weeks later and has never returned. I would recommend keeping your vet informed as to what is going on with your bun, due to the sneezing could become a more chronic problem. My vet didn't always need to see my bunny but would just give me a refill to help save on costs. Also, the vet gave me baytril pills to crush up as these were a cheaper option. Hope you and your vet will find something that cures it quickly!     

User is Offline bullrider76543
Joplin MO
1291 posts Send Private Message
8/11/2012 5:26 AM
just a quick question, where can I get Baytril and how long is it good for?
 photo bbsignature_zps33af2ebb.jpg

User is Offline Sarita
18886 posts Send Private Message
8/11/2012 5:53 AM
Bullrider, baytril can only be prescribed by your vet. Like all antibiotics it does have an expiration. My vet compounds mine for me which must be refrigerated and it does expire much quicker in that form.

User is Offline Hokankai
252 posts Send Private Message
8/11/2012 6:21 PM
I plan on getting in touch with the vet once we get back in town. The snot is white again so it looks like it's going to be a pain.

I'm surprised Theo hasn't had any symptoms's weird.

User is Offline LittlePuffyTail
New Brunswick, Canada
Forum Leader
16627 posts Send Private Message
8/12/2012 8:17 AM
I would also recommend a culture. If there is bacteria present, a culture will determine what type and which antibiotic is best to use.
Proud to be a Bunny Hugger and a voice for the voiceless
You are not authorized to post a reply or you have not verified your email address.

You agree to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy by using this website.
Copyright 2006-2017 - All Rights Reserved