I just came back from the vet, thanks Binky for having me ask this important healthcare question, and I was shown how to clean the scent glands. Here's my input for the "lame"man terms AKA scent glands 4 dummies:
1. Locate the bunny's private parts...this is the PP for a boy or the VVfor a girl.
2. Next to the private part are small flaps of skin or small skin folds.
3. Stretch this skin flap out so that it somewhat flattens and/or shows a crevice where the scent gland is located.
4. Take a moist Q tip (moisten w/ warm water) and gently wipe this area out.
5. This should be done on a monthly basis and has nothing to do w/ the animal being sterilized.
6. If its been a while the bunny might smell kinda "skunky", like "skunk perfume" as we used to say. Jessica's area had a yellow crusty like substance, the vet tech said that sometimes it can look like blackish dirt...so for her she hadn't had them cleaned in a long time.
Now that should make it easy for all. This is way easier than dealing w/ anal glands in dogs and cats. Let's all clean those glands tonight!!!!