Monday, October 20, 2014 Register
 

Forum

BUNNY 911 - If your rabbit hasn't eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!

Don't have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

 

LEADERS:  Beka27  BinkyBunny  KokaneeandKahlua LBJ10 LittlePuffyTail  LongEaredLions  MoveDiagonally  RabbitPam   Sarita

 

You must login and be verified to post, reply, and view profiles
BINKYBUNNY FORUMS > DIET & CARE > What's the possible impact of not neutering?
Last Post by Thunder at 11/07/2006 1:47 AM (8 Replies)
You are not authorized to post a reply or you have not verified your email address.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
Author Messages

User is Offline Anita Stark
Ontario, Canada
200 posts Send Private Message
10/17/2006 2:31 PM

Okay, I've been talking to a few vets offices looking for "the right one".  The first vet was okay with me but dh didn't have a good feeling about her.  Then I talked to a few more.  I had a day off on Friday so I paid a personal visit to a few of the offices on my list. 

The first one said "Sure we can do him any time, just make sure you bring him in on a empty tummy".  Well, I said no way that was going to happen and they said "we wouldn't want him to vomit under anesthesia".  I said something to the effect that if they didn't know that rabbits don't vomit and shouldn't be fasted then I wasn't bringing him in there. 

The tech at the next office sounded like they know their way around rabbits but the vet wasn't in.  I called today to discuss arranging a surgery date and the vet suggested that we should think carefully about it because they don't like to do unnecessary surgeries and would only recommend it if he's having behavioural issues.  If our bun was female they would recommend it due to the health benefits, but they feel it's an unnecessary risk with a male.  They did say that they would do it if we really wanted it but suggested giving it a few months to see if he develops any habits like aggression or spraying.

Now we're very confused.  We have lost pets during surgery in the past and are becoming very anxious about any possible harm to our little furbaby.  Sable is about six and a half months old now and he is still the same little bundle of love we brought home from the pet store... though he does show a wee bit of aggression toward dh who admits that he has probably provoked it in some way (now he's sorry he didn't pay attention to my advice about bunny dominance behaviours).

Help!!!! What do we do??

Sable's Mom

User is Offline Gravehearted
Campbell, CA
2442 posts Send Private Message
10/17/2006 4:58 PM
I totally understand where you're coming from and applaud that you're taking the time to pick the right vet. you're right on - that you should not see the first vet if he/she wanted Sable to fast. It is important to get him neutered, it will improve his health and quality of life. I don't think the second vet likely sees that many rabbits either!

There's an Ontario rabbit rescue group. They have a list of vets, but the site mentions they're not endorsing any of them. I am betting if you placed a call to the local rescue asking them what vets offices they work with on a regular basis you'll be able to find a good choice or two. I would be honest that you've been making calls and are nervous and want to pick a good vet for Sable.

http://www.ontariorabbits.org/healt...thvets.htm

I do hope this helps!
~ bunny mom to to HRH Hareiette, Viktor the crazy Krum and Pandora, prima binky ballerina ~ Save a life, Adopt!

User is Offline Anita Stark
Ontario, Canada
200 posts Send Private Message
10/18/2006 1:48 AM
I've used that site to locate vets but I'll try calling them and see who they recommend.  Actually, the one that wanted him fasted is on the list of rabbit vets on that site.  Another one on the site is a vet we've dealt with before for another pet and wouldn't trust with a dead skunk. 

So, hopefully if I get someone there who knows what's available, I can get a recommendation that makes us both comfortable.  I do have one more on my list to try, I will probably check on them this Friday.

Thanks!
Sable's Mom

User is Offline Gravehearted
Campbell, CA
2442 posts Send Private Message
10/18/2006 9:24 AM
yeah - the site mentions the vets on the list are ones who expressed an interest in their group, so that really doesn't tell people if they know much about rabbits! I hope you'll find the right vet.
~ bunny mom to to HRH Hareiette, Viktor the crazy Krum and Pandora, prima binky ballerina ~ Save a life, Adopt!

User is Offline Gina Won
110 posts Send Private Message
10/22/2006 12:28 AM
Good luck on your search, anitastark! Little Sable is lucky to have a discerning parent such as you!

User is Offline BB
San Francisco Area
Forum Leader
8673 posts Send Private Message
11/01/2006 9:37 PM

Sorry for the late response.  Egads, what a nightmare trying to find a vet who is first experienced with rabbits, and then also as an advocate for neutering.

If you ever plan on getting a buddy for Sable, then it will make it MUCH easier to bond if he's neutered.  And if you wait until he is after five years old, then my understanding is it becomes risky.   The earlier you get a bunny neutered, the less likely negative habits, like aggression, spraying (IF he does that) will set in.

There is a cancer risk in unaltered males, though MUCH lower than in females.

Altered bunny urine is less smelly.   Though it sounds like Sable is litter trained already, so at least the smell should be confined to the box.

Many unaltered bunnies, though not all, display territorial behavior which can cause aggression.

I have had friends who have either got an elder bunny or chose not to have a bunny altered, and seemed fine with it.  It really depends on the bunny's behavior, if there is a buddy and the age of a bunny, but obviously it is a decision that only you would have to make.   I understand that because of what has happened in the past, that this whole thing may make you uneasy.  And I also commend you on still considering it, and forging ahead to find the right vet.

The rabbit community that I am a part of, which includes several rabbit savvy vets,  are all advocates of spaying AND neutering, and so a vet who says the surgery is unnecessary is foreign to me personally.

What has been happening with all of this lately?


User is Offline Anita Stark
Ontario, Canada
200 posts Send Private Message
11/02/2006 2:53 AM
Hi BinkyBunny
Just an update as we haven't moved forward yet.  Dh and I decided to take a little break from the whole thing for a couple of weeks as we were both getting overwrought about it.   Barring the location of another vet, we will probably go ahead with the last one I spoke to (the one who didn't consider it a necessary surgery).  Her office and staff were much more appealing in other regards and I think she has the skill for the surgery.

Will let you know once we get him scheduled, though it may be left till Spring at this point.  Sable is still a little cuddle bun and doesn't spray (yet anyways) so I haven't really noticed any change in behaviour to this point.  Though all of that may change tomorrow!

Thanks for all your help.
Sable's Mom

User is Offline Lucy
Chicago, IL
379 posts Send Private Message
11/02/2006 4:36 AM
i highly reccomend getting sabel fixed- the difference it made in Fujoe was unbelievable. I mean, he's still a little agressive (I know it's bad, but I love it when he growls!), but doesn't lunge at me for no reason. His past owner said he was never aggressive, a really mellow bunny. So I wonder changing enviorments changed his personality a little. . . But anyway, he was agressive here, and like 2 months after the surgery he calmed down.

User is Offline Thunder
11 posts Send Private Message
11/07/2006 1:47 AM

Hi Anitastark,

Thunder is a dwarf lop and also around 6mths old.  He is male and showing no signs of spraying or aggressive behaviour as yet, so we like u are possibly putting off neutering which seems by ev eryone elses posts inevitable BUT everything seems all cuddly and cosy from here.  We are in Australia and not all Vets are trained in neutering bunnies so we too would have to shop around so are leaving it till we have too.

Best of Luck

Trish

Thunders Mum

You are not authorized to post a reply or you have not verified your email address.
BINKYBUNNY FORUMS > DIET & CARE > What's the possible impact of not neutering?

Crinkle
You agree to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy by using this website.
Copyright 2006-2012 BinkyBunny.com - All Rights Reserved