Thursday, October 23, 2014 Register
 

Forum

BUNNY 911 - If your rabbit hasn't eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!

Don't have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

 

LEADERS:  Beka27  BinkyBunny  KokaneeandKahlua LBJ10 LittlePuffyTail  LongEaredLions  MoveDiagonally  RabbitPam   Sarita

 

You must login and be verified to post, reply, and view profiles
BINKYBUNNY FORUMS > DIET & CARE > Neutering... again...
Last Post by Sarah Jones at 11/01/2006 9:10 AM (3 Replies)
You are not authorized to post a reply or you have not verified your email address.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
Author Messages

User is Offline Sarah Jones
London, UK
99 posts Send Private Message
10/12/2006 1:08 AM
i said a few weeks ago that i wanted to get Dougal neutuered. He is 5 months old. However my mum's local vet (i'm going away next week) won't do him until he is at least 5 and half months old preferably 6 months. Does this make the vet extra cautious and quite good, or slightly misunderstanding in the rabbit area of things? I don't know whether I should wait a few weeks for my mums vet where my sister can watch him after 24/7 but it's not "home" or to take him to a London Vet once I'm back and maybe take a day off work.

I'm getting superduper stressed about all this because of history with our rabbits and relations rabbits having bladder problems after etc and reading all the vet info, forums and welfare pages i'm really worried no vet is good enough when really i just need to go for one. sniff.

haven't seen dougal for a week now either and he is staying with my mum for another week. i miss him. sniff.

User is Offline ea hurse
108 posts Send Private Message
10/12/2006 8:36 AM
it's a tough one. i dont think you can rule out the London vet because he is strict about the age thing; did he explain why that's his policy? i know that the lady at my local pet-shop who's 'qualified' in these matters (though she comes from a strictly academic pont of view- she believes rabbits are too smelly to be house pets) told me i should wait for a few months for Lollo's hormones to settle which would have taken him up to about 6 months. having ignored her, i have no doubts i was right, but each situation is different and i think the vet should be willing to look at each case on its merit like mine did.

my vet has her own rabbits so when i phoned up to enquire initially the nurse spent a lot of time explaining how good harriet is specifically with rabbits and the sorts of things they deal/ have dealt with. this really helped.

if you haven't found a more local vet that you trust he may be the best option BUT i think its a good idea to find a local person you can trust and that can build up a knowledge of your bunny so that if there is an emergency ever you know they are clued-up and have the history to hand.

the (whichever) vet will do an initial check to make sure bunny is fit enough to go through the operation; i'm sure once you've made the decision the initial meeting will put your mind at ease at least as easy as it could be in the circumstances!

User is Offline BB
San Francisco Area
Forum Leader
8673 posts Send Private Message
10/14/2006 8:01 PM
Did the vet say exactly why.   I mean did the vet just make that arbitrary date, or was it after an exam?  Have Dougals testicles dropped yet?  IF not, then maybe that is the reason for the vets decision.

I know it must be scary.  I think one of the ways to help you find a good vet is to use the screening questions.
http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/...#questions

User is Offline Sarah Jones
London, UK
99 posts Send Private Message
11/01/2006 9:10 AM
well he is 6 months old now, or 5 and half at least, but no, when i rang up they asked how old and they said "oh, you'll have to wait a few weeks, we like to make sure the rabbits are old enough." i guess it doesn't matter in terms of age now because they can do him. i'm also going home to my mum's for the weekend on the 11th so this would seem a good weekend to try and get him done there and stay with him! eek!

i have a london vet who could do him as well, but he was looking up dougal's infections in a book which i thought didn't bode that well... also, zone 1 prices (which london is in) are crazy, so things are much cheaper at my mum's in horse country!
You are not authorized to post a reply or you have not verified your email address.
BINKYBUNNY FORUMS > DIET & CARE > Neutering... again...

SaveABunny Rescue
You agree to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy by using this website.
Copyright 2006-2012 BinkyBunny.com - All Rights Reserved