Don't have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES
The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.
LEADERS: Beka27 BinkyBunny KokaneeandKahlua LBJ10 LittlePuffyTail LongEaredLions RabbitPam Sarita
My little Ariadne seems to have the snuffles or whatever you want to call it. Three weeks ago she started to sneeze and several days later it turned purulent (white) so I decided to take her into the vet. She was put on trimethoprim sulfa but after only 4 days it wasn't doing the job so we upped it to baytril. She had a full, 14 day course of Baytril which was finished on Monday or Tuesday...I can't remember. Either way, she's already sneezing again. It's not very much and right now it's clear...but she's definitely sneezing quite a few times an hour where she wasn't while she was on her antibiotics.
What do I do from here? Theodore who has lived with her for several months has had no symptoms, but her mother (a foster from the humane society) left me with a sniffle so I wouldn't be surprised if it was passed to her at birth. Any ideas as to what I should do? I'm going to hold off contacting the vet until it becomes purulent again and I'm hoping it doesn't and that it's just something environmental like the fact that their hay was just changed or their litterbox needs cleaning...but I'm not exactly hopeful.
I found this article that might help:
If you suspect an upper respiratory infection than a culture and sensitivity test would be what I recommend.
My bun had something like snuffles as well when I first got him. I think we went through three or four courses of 14 day baytril and it would almost go away but then return. After it had been a while, the vet gave me baytril and a nose drop called gentamicin sulfate ophthalmic solution. The sneezing went away about 3-4 weeks later and has never returned. I would recommend keeping your vet informed as to what is going on with your bun, due to the sneezing could become a more chronic problem. My vet didn't always need to see my bunny but would just give me a refill to help save on costs. Also, the vet gave me baytril pills to crush up as these were a cheaper option. Hope you and your vet will find something that cures it quickly!