I wanted to believe so much that what happened to the first flemish giant I got in the beginning of April was a one-time freak thing - but I guess it wasn't. He died 2 days after we got him when he got diarrhea and never recovered. Several of you suggested not taking another bunny from this breeder, but the first one tested negative for things like coccida, and the breeder it was very rare for one of his bunnies to not make it once they got home, so I just didn't think it could happen again. I feel like such a fool, but Lemur left us last night.
I haven't been talking about it on here for a few reasons, but Lemur has had some issues since we brought him home. On the car ride home I noticed he had gas. I took him in right away to a rabbit specialist, one recommended on rabbit.org. She helped him get past the gas episode and got him eating good. Turns out he had coccidia and pin worms. He first went on 10 days of Albon, then he was still having soft poops so we tested him again and he still had it, but it was a very low count. We then gave him a round of Ponazuril to see if that would kick the coccidia. He was still having some soft and irregularly shaped poops after that treatment. I was cleaning constantly and removing all poops within hours, but he still wasn't kicking this coccidia.
Then, Bear, my other bunny, started having some poop issues too. They haven't been interacting or anything, so there must have been some sort of cross contamination by accident. I took in a sample from each of them and they both had coccidia now, Lemur with very low counts and Bear with a moderate count. They got another round of Albon each for 10 days, then the vet wanted me to bring in a sample a week after they were off it to see if it was gone. Towards the end of the Albon Lemur seemed to be doing better. All throughout this he has been eating fine, and although he wasn't gaining weight at first, at one point he gained a whole pound in a week. He was having more soft poop again within the last couple days (they were never all better, but it was more again now) and lots of cecals, but he was mostly eating them. I was sure the coccidia was flaring up again and I decided to wait a day and bring in the samples to be tested again, which was yesterday.
Yesterday I brought the samples in and was waiting for the results. I was home most of the day and Lemur was a little less active. When I got up in the morning he didn't run to the cage door to be let out, but when I opened it and reached in he woke up and ran right out. I figured I would just have to get him more medicine that night. I would have brought him in, but the exotics vet was out of town this week, so I made an appointment for Tuesday since he seemed fine enough to wait until then if we got more meds for what I thought was still coccidia. Well, at 4pm they called and told me both Bear and Lemur came back negative for coccidia, the meds had worked. I told the person that called that I was concerned because Lemur was still having some unusual poop, explained what was going on, and they agreed that bringing him in Tuesday was a good idea, but that since he was still eating fine they didn't think bringing him in now was needed.
Then I left home for a while, and got a call from my husband at 5:45, less than 2 hours later, and diarrhea was just pouring out of him. I immediately came home, and rushed him to the emergency vet. His temp was low (around 96) and even with warmers his temp kept dropping. He still had diarrhea just leaking from him constantly. Just before 8 the vet said she thought it would be best to put him to sleep, as he wasn't responding to treatment and his body wasn't able to regulate his temp - they said he was dying and likely in pain. He wouldnt even hold his head up anymore. I held him in my arms as they put him to sleep. He was still leaking so much that it leaked through 3 blankets wrapped around him onto me.
They are going to do an autopsy, and I'll give that info to the breeder, but I know know he wont care. I let him know Lemur tested positive for coccidia the day after we got him and he never bothered to respond. I let myself be fooled by this guy because I really wanted a flemish giant - I really wanted a super loving cuddly bunny - it was comforting during hard times. I love my Bear more than anything, but she just isn't a cuddler like Lemur was.
I didn't talk about what was going on here because I knew he was getting the best care with the rabbit specialist, and I was just scared to even talk about how something was wrong with him, like it would curse him. On top of everything else, my husband and I decided to separate 2 days ago, the day before my baby died. I feel like my world is ending.
I'm sorry for the really long post - and I'm sorry that I didn't listen to you guys about getting another one from this breeder. I was a fool and trusted him. But I loved Lemur, and I'm glad he at least got a month with us, and didn't die while still at that breeders (he had a ton of rabbits at the time and I know he hasn't found homes for all of them yet).