I recieved a telephone call from a couple in Arcadia, Florida who had bought a pair of bunnies from Tractor Supply in Port Charlotte (who believe me, has gotten a peice of my mind on so many occasions, it's not even funny) - and now the inevitable situation has occured:
These folks bought a male/female pair, and apparently didn't know anything, because several months later they now have in the ballpark of 40 rabbits. Some very young babies, approximately 15 "adult" females, and approximately 12 "adult" males, and they stated they are willing to give a "sizable" donation for rescue to get them out of there. Apparently some of the rabbits have gotten loose and there's a bobcap coming onto the property to eat them.
My rescue has just assisted a shelter with a massive guinea pig seizure - I have NO ROOM for these rabbits. I do have several pending adoptions and could potential make room for up to, say, FIVE, but otherwise, I have NO room at all.
I am contacting other area rescues and shelters, and I am willing to drive as far as the Carolinas myself to aid with transport on any day I have off.
I know that not all rescues tend to work together, but this situation is going to get rapidly MORE out of hand if these rabbits do not get taken. I can have each rabbit spayed/neutered for about $40 - if rescues can't get any decent price on spays/neuters, I'll get them fixed before transport. But I literally have no place to hold the bunnies for more than a day or two to transport... so I need to know if you have anyone with available cages, foster space, play pens, and shelters, rescues or otherwise equipt people to house a bunny (or ten) or anyone willing to transport.
Supposedly the rabbits are now sexed and seperated (except the young babies), but I have no idea what the state is. Our vet WILL fix pregnant rabbits if need be, but I'm sure everyone will agree this is a situation that will blow to epic proportions in no time if nothing is done.
If you know ANY rescue or shelter group in Florida, Georgia, the Carolinas or beyond, or anyone driving NORTH up the East Coast, who can transport bunnies - I will do my best to get out there today (I was in the hospital the last few days, I'm both pregnant and sick, but I'll do my best) - to photograph the situation and sex and seperate further, check the health condition. From what the callers have told me, the rabbits are all younger than 8 months old. I will get more info on breed/size, etc and try to get photos ASAP.
I hope that, even if you are not an associate of our rescue, that you will recognize that this situation is a RABBIT problem, and these rabbits need help. Our rescue is merely the one that recieved that call, and is willing to do as much physical labor and transport as necessary.
Anyone traveling into the area to assist with transport is welcome to stay at my home overnight if need be. I will do whatever possible to make sure these rabbits are pulled as soon as possible and taken to shelters or rescues where they will be safe. PLEASE CONTACT US AT LITTLEMIRACLESRR AT AOL DOT COM ASAP if you can take EVEN ONE of these bunnies for foster (for us, or for another rescue). We have some cages, which are not great, but we are more than happy to give them away to anyone who needs them to aid with this rescue.
Little Miracles Rabbit Rescue 941 240 6412 or littlemiraclesrr AT aol DOT com
PLEASE CROSS POST!!
[Donation link removed]